The Museum's collections are contained in three main areas: the automobile collection, the archives collection, and the small artifact collection. Each collection segment has its own bulls-eye design. Artifact segments closer to the center of bulls-eye are those most significant to the collection.
Any items that fall outside of the scope of the bulls-eye are eliminated from or are not accepted into the collection. In addition, the museum collections are exhibited in a significant historic building. The vehicles include significant examples, dating from the 1890s to the 1990s, which illustrate the achievements of the Auburn Automobile Company as well as vehicles from other manufacturers. The archives collection contains original photographs, sales materials, correspondence, and periodicals related to Auburns, Cords, and Duesenbergs as well as the larger automotive industry. The small artifact collection contains items relevant to the activities of the company, its vehicles, and associates.
The museum building, the museum’s largest artifact, was constructed for the Auburn Automobile Company in 1929 after a design by A.M. Strauss of Fort Wayne. It is one of the finest examples of Art Deco architecture in the Midwest. The Auburn Automobile Company Administration Building housed the corporate showroom, executive and general offices, engineering and experimental design departments, design studios, and telephone switchboards until the company’s end in 1937. The museum building is considered to be the museum’s most significant artifact and it is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and was named a National Historic Landmark in 2005.